Table of Contents
- How to Avoid Rats in your Home
- What are different types of Rats found in urban households?
- Where do Rats come from?
- What are the Dangers and Damages Rats may cause?
- What are the 5 Signs of Rats and Mice in your home?
- How to Avoid Rats & Mice in your homes?
- About SafePestControl
How to Avoid Rats in your Home
Winter is nearly approaching, and everyone is preparing for this season.
And so the horrible rats, they are busy planning where to go at this time, there are a bunch of rats searching for a safe place to protect themselves from the cold weather in Sydney.
They are quite ready to invade your homes, are you ready for this?
What are different types of Rats found in urban households?
Rats are native mammal species called Rodents; there are 2,200 different species of rodents in the world and these include mice, squirrels, or beavers. Try to check the different types of rats in Sydney below.
Brown Rats (Rattus norvegicus) or Norway Rats
Are commonly found in urban areas, these are street rats, and they construct deep burrow system and build their nests under the floors of houses or in buildings with multiple entries and exit points.
They usually eat meat, fish, fruits, vegetables and drink about 15ml water each day to survive. You may notice brown rats visible during the night to look for food.
Black Rats (Rattus rattus) or Roof Rats, also called Ship Rats or European Black Rats
Are usually found in roofs and ships, that’s why they were called by those names.
They have large ears and eyes, pointed nose, and a tail longer than their bodies, noticeably different from brown rats.
They are the most common species found in different cities in Australia.
The House Mice (Mus musculus)
You may also see some smaller kinds, These are rodents distinctly smaller than rats, about 70-95mm in size and only 30g in weight, brownish-grey in color in the upper body, and white to grey or pale yellow in their lower part.
Also, they have 1 pair of distinctive chisel-shaped incisors with hard yellow enamel on the front surfaces.
They usually shelter in ceilings, walls, behind cupboards, furniture or boxes, and under floors.
Where do Rats come from?
In Australia, more than 60 species are living and growing rapidly.
Brown rats were originated in Northern China and now spread to all other continents except Antarctica, believed to be dominant in Europe.
While black rats are originally coming from India and slowly spread into Europe about 3000 years ago according to historians.
These brown and black rats are said to travel through ships and came to Australia and many other places in the world.
Rats move into urban households due to readily available food, water, and shelter.
They are looking for places where they can easily access food or near the sources of food to survive, they have a strong sense of smell which they use in searching for these sources.
During winter, they need a warm place to keep them stay and be protected. A small place in your home where they can hide for the whole season to survive is their perfect home.
What are the Dangers and Damages Rats may cause?
Aside from the unpleasant odors rats may cause in your households or business premises, rats and mice can also damage your property through eating and gnawing structural materials and electrical wiring in walls or machinery resulting in some profit loss and additional costs.
For these reasons, rats and mice are considered household pests.
More importantly, they pose major problems in human health; rats may carry life-threatening diseases such as leptospirosis, typhus fever, to name a few.
When they touch or come near your food storage or kitchen, they will surely contaminate your food with their droppings, urine, or scaly hair which may result in spoilage or poisoning.
And to prevent these possible dangers and damages to happen, you should know when to take action by observing first the different signs of rats and mice in your home.
What are the 5 Signs of Rats and Mice in your home?
- When you see droppings and urine stains along the walls, cupboard, pantry, and under the kitchen sink, chances are rodent activities on-going in your home. Rats and mice produce 50-80 small dark feces each night.
- When you hear some noise like scratching sounds in the walls, roof, or under floorboards, during the night. Rats and mice are nocturnal and this is the perfect time for them to source out food and build their nests.
- When you see some gnawed food packaging, cardboard boxes or skirting boards, and chewed electrical wires or cables in your home. Rats love to gnaw and chew anything to make their teeth sharp.
- When you see built nests using newspaper, cardboard, or any other materials easy to shred in warm areas under some furniture or appliances or floors or roofs in your home.
- When you actually see the rats and mice roaming around your living room or kitchen area, or running across your fence at night. Visual sightings of these pests as the best evidence of rat infestation in your home.
How to Avoid Rats & Mice in your homes?
Here is a list of Top Tips to avoid rats and mice in your home
• Maintain a clean and organize the house, both inside and out. Dispose of all food scraps properly, clean your garage or storage areas regularly so the pests have no place to hide.
• Use glass containers or plastic containers in storing food with proper fitting lids, rats and mice cannot chew glass containers.
• Keep your pet area clean and don’t leave the pet food and feces unattended as this will attract rats and mice, remember they have a very strong sense of smell. They can easily run through it whenever possible.
• Ensure the garbage bins are always empty and the food waste and trash are disposed of in tightly sealed garbage bags without leaks.
• Check the possible entry and exit points of rodents in your living room and working areas of your home and block them using metal sheets or concrete filler and so the access points to cupboards containing food preparation utensils.
• Call the rats and mice exterminators immediately when you already see the signs of rodent infestation in your home.
It is also important to protect yourself or your family especially your children from the filthy rats present in your home.
Wash hands thoroughly before preparing food and throw away all food or drinks that may have into contact with these pests.
Always wear shoes or slippers on the floors where you know rats and mice are running or actively playing in the area.
Consult a doctor immediately when bitten by a rat or mouse.
On the other hand, an expert in rats and mice pest control is greatly needed for rodent infestation in your home.
Safe Pest Control Pty Ltd. is your rats and mice pest control expert who can provide you pest control solutions to your rodent infestation problem whether in residential, commercial, or industrial premises.
They also offer safe and cost-effective pest control treatment.
We use Eco-Friendly Products
SafePestControl technicians use Eco-friendly products that keep your home, property, and your family safe during and after pest control treatment.
Almost 2 decades of experience and expertise
SafePestControl, with almost 2 decades of experience and expertise in dealing with pest problems particularly rats and mice throughout Sydney, whether in the Northern Beaches area, Eastern or South Sydney.
The team comprises experts in searching hiding spots, entry points of rats, and removal.
Conduct Careful Assessment of Pest Problem
SafePestControl technicians here are knowledgeable on how to manage the rats and mice properly through careful assessment of your situation and recommend the best solutions.
For rodent infestation, the treatment is in the form of baiting, using single-feeding baits means a small amount is enough to get rid of a rat or mouse and resulted in longer-lasting control.
Traps may also use in identified runways and areas where rats are found, several traps will be used at one time for faster and better results.
And after the treatment, the technicians will also teach you on how to dispose dead rats properly for your safety.
We are member of AEPMA
SafePestControl is also a long-standing member of the Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association (AEPMA) which assures you on safe and effective pest control practices to be implemented.
5-Star rating from Google Reviews
You may never go wrong with SafePestControl since they have a 5-Star rating from Google Reviews and highly-recommended by most clients for residential and commercial pest control services.
To have a rodent-free home, try the best rat and mice control company in Sydney, SafePestControl!
Call Us Today
Just Call 1300 119 085 now for immediate consultation and booking!