SIGNS OF PEST INFESTATION IN WINTER
RODENT ACTIVITY IN WINTER
As the weather gets colder in winter, you may notice an increase in rodent activity in and around your home. This is because rodents are looking for shelter from the cold and may find their way into your attic, crawlspace, or even inside your walls. While you may not see them, you may hear them scratching or scurrying around. There are a few things you can do to help deter rodents from taking up residence in your home:
- Seal up any cracks or holes on the outside of your home, especially around doors and windows. –Keep your garage and other storage areas clean and free of clutter.
- Do not leave food out or in easy-to-access areas. –If you have pets, keep their food and water dishes clean and in a place where rodents cannot reach them.
- Consider using rodent–proof containers for any food storage. If you do find evidence of rodents in your home, it is important to take action to get rid of them. Rodents can carry diseases and contaminate food, so it is not worth taking the risk. There are a few different ways to get rid of rodents, such as:
- Traps: There are many different types of traps available, so you will need to find the right one for your situation. –Poison: This is not always the best option, as it can be dangerous for children and pets. If you do choose to use poison, be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
- Exclusion: This is the process of sealing up any openings that rodents could use to get into your home. This is often the best long–term solution. If you have a rodent problem, it is best to call in a professional to help you resolve the issue. They will be able to identify the best way to get rid of the rodents and help you prevent them from coming back. (Related: GENERAL PEST CONTROL)
PEST INSPECTION IN SYDNEY
Is your house safe enough from winter infestation? With the changing of the seasons, it doesn’t mean that pests take a break from invading your home and office space –even when faced with the cold weather of winter! Despite the difference in the winter condition in various states of Australia, one thing is certain when it comes to pest infestation. Not all pests hibernate because they primarily seek the warmth and food sources inside your house. So, how confident are you with your home proofing against common winter pests? Here are the top 3 warnings that can help you assess the things you might have overlooked in the process of pest-proofing. (Read: SIGNS OF PEST INFESTATION IN WINTER)
1. Tracks and Droppings
These two are visible warnings of infestation as they are easily noticeable against the pure white snow. But you must determine the type of tracks because not all are caused by nuisance winter pests. Among the kinds of tracks, the ones that are crisscrossing your yard highly pose a pest problem. Chances are, they are moving to and fro seeking food thus creating a distinct route. An example of the most common tracks with patterns is the one made by rodents. They are often lightweight compared to other wildlife winter pests (like raccoons or skunks) and move about on the snow in a sort of hopping way. So the trail they leave behind has little marks in a rough line created by their hind legs and tail. (Related: SIMPLE ANT PREVENTION TIPS)
Fecal droppings and urine trails are also obvious signs of infestation. Pay attention to the trails, and direction of the droppings. Is the trail seemed to be heading to a particular part of your house? How do determine the type of droppings? To help you out, here are a few tips to identify the droppings:
- Rodents’ droppings look like small rods.
- Cockroach droppings appear to be like black, small, and granular flecks.
- Termite droppings are of the size of poppy seeds and shaped like rounded pellets.
- Carpenter ant droppings look like saw-dust and are often seen accumulated in a pile.
(Read: HOW TO GET RID OF DUST MITE )
2. Bite Marks and Digging Signs
Carefully check your home for bite marks and mounds of dirt as some of the winter pests love to dig into the ground within the perimeter of your residence, porches, around the garden, and other low covers. So once you see burrow entrances on your property, chances are, there’s a winter animal seeking shelter – which may cause infestation problems. (Read: WHAT ATTRACKS PESTS TO YOUR HOME,HOW TO GET RID OF TICKS)
3. Skittering Sounds
What’s that noise? You might be hearing some clicking, squeaking, and even snapping sounds (other than the ones you hear from your pet dog or pet cat), then that means you are not alone in the house! All you need is to be extra observant of unusual sounds coming from the walls, attic, and around the house as it is a common sign of infestation. (Read: HOW TO GET RID OF BED BUGS, GET RID OF UNWANTED PESTS QUICK)
Hire the #1 Commercial Pest Control Sydney Exterminators Today!
If you see any of these signs of winter infestation, don’t hesitate to call professional help immediately! The longer you wait, the higher risk of the infestation problem you might have. Also, instead of experimenting with DIY traps, it is way better to efficiently have certified preventative measures and safe spray pest control service from Safe Pest Control, the most trusted pest expert for residential and commercial property areas in Sydney!
Contact us at 1300 119 085 to know more about our pest control sydney services. We offer exceptional and professional pest control service that’s affordable and with FREE estimates you can enjoy! (Related: PEST CONTROL SERVICES IN SYDNEY, HOW DOES WEATHER AFFECT PEST INFESTATIONS)